The Tour of Utah, the Beehive State's most exciting road cycling event, kicks off tonight, Aug. 17 at the State Capitol with a press conference, a fast and flat time trial determining the lead rider for stage one, and a "Pedal Power" festival for kids. The Pedal Power event includes a kids' relay course, banana races (picture the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby with bananas), BMX demos and appearances by the Jazz Bear and Bumble of the Salt Lake Bees. Pedal Power begins at 5 p.m. in the east parking lot of the State Capitol, and the time trial starts at 6 p.m.
The Tour of Utah consists of five stages taking place Aug. 18-21:
- Stage One, Wed., Aug. 18, starts in Ogden Canyon and runs 85 miles to Research Park at the University of Utah.
- Stage Two, Thur., Aug. 19, starts at Thanksgiving Point and runs 78.5 miles with a grueling 20-mile climb to the top of Mount Nebo.
- Stage Three, Fri., Aug. 20, is a ten-mile loop beginning and ending at Miller Motorsports Park.
- Stage Four, Sat., Aug. 21, is a 90-minute race on a loop course winding up and down Park City's historic Main Street.
- Stage Five, Sun., Aug. 22, starts at Newpark Resort in Park City and runs 100 miles through mountainous terrain to Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort.
All stages include fun events for fans - see the Tour of Utah website for details. In connection with the Tour of Utah, Megaplex Theatres will be playing Chasing Legends and Bicycle Dreams at two locations. Megaplex 12 @ the Gateway and Megaplex 17 @ Jordan Commons will be showing these two films starting Aug. 13 and running through Aug. 22.
Photo courtesy Tour of Utah