The Natural History Museum of Utah has always been one of SLC's most popular family attractions, bringing adults and children together to learn about Utah's land, creatures and cultures, past and present. As the museum gets ready to celebrate the first anniversary of the opening of its stunning new building east of the University of Utah, program directors have added some new events to their lineup of activities for families:
- Bug Brigade: Observe and handle live bugs to learn about their anatomy, behavior and important ecological roles. Included in Museum Admission, offered every second and fourth Saturday from 2-4 p.m.
- Utah's Animals: Get up close and personal with the Great Basin gopher snake, North American bullfrog, Great Basin Spadefoot toad, and the Utah salamander, and learn more about the ecosystems of Utah. Utah's Animals is offered twice monthly, every first and third Saturday from 2-3 p.m. Included in Museum Admission.
- Chickadee Society: Preschool story time including science themed stories, hands-on activities, movement activities and gallery exploration. Included with museum admission, offered the last Thursday of every month, 10:30-11 a.m.
- Late Night Wednesdays: The museum will be open until 9 p.m. every Wednesday for evening exploration. Regular admission applies.
- Family Sleepovers (New): Spend an unforgettable night with your family at the Natural History Museum of Utah! You'll participate in activities for the whole family - making dry ice bubbles, trying your hand at Fremont Indian tools, meeting live insects - as you explore the museum at night. Includes an evening snack and continental breakfast. November 9-10, 2012, Jan. 25-26, 2013, March 8-9, 2013, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 a.m. $50 per person.
- Family Workshops (New): At NHMU Family Workshops, adults and children discover, collaborate, and create together. You'll learn from natural history experts as you build new skills and explore Museum resources. The first two workshops will be Scientific Illustration Nov. 10 and Split-Twig Figurines Dec. 8, at 10 a.m. $22 per person.
Natural History Museum of Utah
301 Wakara Way
Open every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Last Admission is 4:30 p.m.
Open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. - Last Admission is 8:30 p.m.
Admissions $9 for children and youth 2-24, and seniors 65+. Adults $11.
Image courtesy Natural History Museum of Utah