August is an amazing time for the arts, music and sports in Salt Lake City. Browse the list for dozens of terrific ways to get out and enjoy SLC's summertime!
Note: While we do our best to make sure all details are accurate, please call or visit the event's website to make sure times, dates, places and prices are correct.
The popular Park City Arts Festival features the work of more than 200 artists including visual arts, performance art, music, food and film. Programs this year include Festival After Dark, food vendors, a kids' area, musical performances on two stages, Taste of Art dining specials by participating restaurants, Utah Artisan Tasting, and Yoga Fest.
Friday, August 1, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday, August, 2 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday, August 3, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Historic Main Street in Park City
Weekend pass: $10 adults, $5 children
Summit County residents free
Music and a summer evening go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Here's a list of the Salt Lake area's popular summer concert series, including the Twilight Concert Series, Red Butte Garden Concerts, Gallivan Center concerts and music events at Utah ski resorts. Many events are free. Browse the list, and you're almost sure to find an event that appeals to you.
What happens when the characters from an upper class family of aristocrats collide with a zombie apocalypse? Hilarity! Written by Rusty & Sunny Bringhurst and Eric R. Jensen this unique twist on two of the most popular and iconic TV series of our time is coming live to the OBT stage for your amusement!
Monday, Friday, and Saturday, Aug. 1-Sept. 6, 7:30 p.m.
Adults $16, Students/Seniors $12, Children 12 years and under $8
Here's the June lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- The Stooges Brass Band - Friday, August 1
- Beehive Distilling Launch Party - Saturday, August 2
- MarchFourth Marching Band - Thursday, August 7
- Ok Go - Friday, August 8
- Turnpike Troubadours - Thursday, August 14
- Hectic Hobo CD Release - Friday, August 15
- Dave & Phil Alvin & The Guilty Ones - Friday, August 22
RSL has a packed schedule in August, with three road and two home game:
- Saturday, August 2, Time TBD @ Colorado (ABC4)
- Saturday, August 9, 8 p.m. vs. DC United (ABC4)
- Saturday, August 16, 12:30 p.m. vs. Seattle
- Friday, August 22, 7 p.m. @ FC Dallas
- Saturday, August 30, 8:30 p.m. @ San Jose (CW30)
Rio Tinto Stadium
9256 S. State St. in Sandy
Tickets $25-$125; see website for promotions
All RSL games (home and away) will be broadcast on KALL 700 Sports.
- June 9 - Wasatch Eagle Dancers - Native American Dance & Music
- June 16 - Kenshin Taiko - Japanese Drum
- July 7 - Red Desert Ramblers - Bluegrass Music
- July 14 - Island Traditions - Polynesian Music & Dance
- August 4 - Salt Lake Capoeira
Shows start at 6 and 7 p.m.
General admission: adults $10, children 3-17 and seniors 65+ $8, Family of 6 $38
Red Butte Garden
300 Wakara Way
The Depot, a live music venue at The Gateway, features two concerts in July.
- Us the Duo - Monday, August 4
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Friday, August 8
- Jenny Lewis - Saturday, August 12
- Ziggy Marley - Wednesday, August 20
- Presidents of the United States of America - Tuesday, August 22
Farewell Tour of Queensrÿche starring Geoff Tate - Tuesday, August 26
Reverend Horton Heat - Thursday, August 28
400 W. South Temple
The summer season of the Utah Shakespeare Festival features Twelfth Night, Henry IV Part 1, Sense and Sensibility, Measure for Measure, Into the Woods, and The Comedy of Errors. The fall season includes Boeing Boeing, Sherlock Holmes: The Final Adventure, and selections from the New American Playwrights Project. Hosted by Southern Utah University, the Utah Shakespeare Festival is a great event that's definitely worth the trip to Cedar City.
June 24 through October 18, 2014
300 W. Center Street in Cedar City
Disney's and Mackintosh's Mary Poppins flies into town and lands on HCT's magical stage. The winner of three Tonys, this show features all your favorite songs: 'Spoonful of Sugar', 'Chim Chim Cher-ee', 'Let's Go Fly a Kite!', as well as breathtaking dancing, costumes and sets. Simply Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Nightly except Sundays, June 13-August 9, 2014, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday matinees 12:30 and 4 p.m.
3333 S. Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Adults $32, Children $16, No children under five permitted