More than 90,000 people visit the Festival of Trees each year to see over 1,000 imaginatively decorated Christmas trees, wreaths, centerpieces, gingerbread creations, playhouses and quilts, which are auctioned to raise funds for Primary Children's Medical Center In addition, the festival provides activities for children and entertainment for the entire family.
Wednesday-Saturday, Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 2012, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
South Towne Expo Center, 9575 South State Street in Sandy
Adults $5, seniors $4, children 2-11 $3
Discount tickets available at Zions Bank locations
Wednesday, Nov. 30 is “Family Day,&rdquo. Six immediate family members can attend for $15.
Ring in the holidays with Willam Christensen’s beloved production of The Nutcracker. Set to Tchaikovsky’s famous score, The Nutcracker‘s dazzling blend of costumes, sets and choreography creates an enchanted storybook world that has captivated Utah audiences for more than 50 years.
Nov. 30-Dec. 29, 2012, times vary
50 W. 200 S.
By the eight-time Oscar-winning composer of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid, this singing-and-dancing musical version of Dickens’ Christmas classic provides a wonderfully fresh look at the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and the ghostly visits he receives one Christmas Eve.
Nov. 30-Dec. 15, 2012
M-Th, 7:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays, 8 p.m., Saturday matinees, 2 p.m.
300 S. 1400 E.
$38-$59 in advance, $5 more day of show
Kids in K-12 grades are half price on Mondays and Tuesdays
No children under five, please
The Brigham Young University dance department's popular annual "Christmas Around the World" revue features a cast of more than 200 dancers, singers, and musicians presenting the dance traditions different cultures united by the message of peace on earth.
Friday and Saturday, Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, 7:30 p.m., Saturday matinee 2 p.m.
BYU Marriott Center
500 E. Mariott Parkway in Provo
Red Butte Garden's annual open house event features local handmade gifts for sale, free cider and hot chocolate, and acres of winter garden to explore.
Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 1-2, 2012, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
300 Wakara Way
Enjoy one-on-one time with Jolly Old Saint Nick over a warm, tasty breakfast, along with holiday crafts and play time at the Discovery Gateway, Salt Lake's popular children's museum.
Saturdays, Dec. 1, 8 and 15, 8-10 a.m.
Members: $22 per child/$27 per adult
Non-members: $27 per child/$33 per adult
444 W. 100 S.
Jingle Bell Run/Walk®is a fun, festive event for the whole family! Put on your reindeer antlers and your running shoes and help raise money to fight arthritis.
Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Registration begins at 8 a.m.; race begins at 10 a.m.
Join Tracy Aviary for Santa Saturdays Dec. 1, 8, 15, and 22 from 12p.m.-2p.m. Guests can take a picture with the aviary's Christmas Pelican, eat tasty holiday treats, cozy up for story time with a feathered friend, make holiday toys, decorations and gifts for the birds, and much more. Bring a small box to decorate if you would like to participate in the craft activities.
600 E. 900 S.
Admission $5-$7; Avian Encounter $3
- Enjoy an afternoon of shopping, eating and schmoozing at the I.J. and Jeanne Wagner Jewish Community Center, just in time for Hanukkah. Local vendors will be selling gift items, food and books in a festive indoor market. Sunday, Dec. 2, noon-6 p.m.
- Seniors are invited to a free Hanukkah celebration and luncheon at the I.J. and Jeanne Wagner Jewish Community Center, Thursday, Dec. 13, noon-2 p.m. NCJW and the JCC will provide a wonderful meal, lighting of the candles, entertainment and activities.
2 N. Medical Dr.
Holiday music and film performances at Kingsbury Hall:
- With songs from his recent album, as well as holiday favorites, the Chris Isaak holiday show will be the best Christmas gift you can give yourself. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $42-$58.
- The delightful family movie 12 Dogs of Christmas: Great Puppy Rescue will be screened followed by a half hour live stage show with 160 kids, the stars of the film, and dog or two. Dec. 7-8, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $10-$25, 20% discount for purchases of six or more.
- Hailing from Utah, The Piano Guys became an internet sensation by way of their immensely successful series of self-made music videos. Wednesday, Dec. 19, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $29.50-$39.50, discounts for groups and children.
- Where there is healing, there is Christmas. A Time of Forgiving is a magical night of inspiration, love and hope. The story with its poignant tribute to life’s lessons will inspire you. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 21-22, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $28-$58.
1395 E. Presidents Circle at the University of Utah