You might think of January as a dead, dull month in Utah, but in reality there are a lot of exciting sports, arts, music, film and theater events this month, including the Sundance Film Festival, one of the most exciting Utah entertainment events of the year.
The list keeps evolving, so check back for more events as the month progresses.
Note: While we do our best to make sure all details are accurate, please contact the venue or visit their website before attending an event to make sure times, dates and prices are correct.
"Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Ancient Times" includes one of the largest collections of the priceless 2,000-year-old Dead Sea Scrolls. Discovered by a shepherd in 1947, the Scrolls contain the oldest known copies of the Hebrew Bible. On display with the Scrolls are more than 600 objects from the Biblical to Byzantine Period in Israel, including many that have never been publicly exhibited.
209 E. 500 S.
Nov. 23, 2013- April 27, 2014
Movie lovers can find a huge variety of free film screenings in Salt Lake City, including major Hollywood productions, experimental films, classics, kids' movies, documentaries and more. This month's highlights include My Neighbor Totoro Jan. 4 at the City Library, and The Green Wave Jan. 14 at the The Leonardo.
A Jazz game can be an exciting diversion on a winter's night. The Jazz have eight home games in January:
Games are televised regionally on ROOT SPORTS (excluding some nationally televised games). ROOT SPORTS channels vary by provider - Comcast: SD - 52, HD - 693 DirecTV: SD - 684, HD - 684.1 DISH: channel varies, usually between 440-450 and 470-480 RADIO: 1280 AM KZNS/97.5 FM.
- Thursday, Jan. 2, 7 p.m. vs Milwaukee
- Friday, Jan. 3, 8:30 p.m. @ L.A. Lakers
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m. vs Oklahoma City
- Friday, Jan. 10, 7 p.m. vs Cleveland
- Monday, Jan. 13, 7 p.m. vs Denver
- Wednesday, Jan. 15, 6 p.m. @ San Antonio (ESPN)
- Friday, Jan. 17, 5:30 p.m. @ Detroit
- Saturday, Jan. 18, 6 p.m. @ Minnesota
- Tuesday, Jan. 21, 7 p.m. vs Minnesota
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 7 p.m. vs Washington
- Monday, Jan. 27, 7 p.m. vs Sacramento
- Friday, Jan. 31, 8:30 p.m. vs Golden State (ESPN)
301 W. South Temple
Tickets $8-$162, check website for promotions.
Absolute hysterics as a stranger is secreted away to a remote lodge. He doesn't speak English...or does he? Brilliant writing and side-splitting good fun make this play, by Larry Shue, a comedic classic.
December 31, 2013 – February 1, 2014
Monday-Saturday 7:30 p.m.
Saturday Matinees at 12:30 and 4 p.m.
No children under five permitted.
3333 S. Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Pac-12 play starts in January for the Runnin' Utes:
- Jan. 2 vs. Oregon, 6 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 4 vs. Oregon State, 2 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 8 @ Washington, 9 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 12 @ Washington State, 5 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 14 vs. USC, 8 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan 18 vs. UCLA, 2 p.m. (Fox Sports 1)
- Jan. 23 @ Arizona State, 7 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 26 @ Arizona, 6 p.m. (Fox Sports 1)
All times MT.
All games on ESPN 700 radio.
Jon M. Huntsman Center
1825 East South Campus Drive at the University of Utah
Tickets $5-$25, see website or call for specials.
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Tim Meadows and Janeane Garafalo.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
- Vs. Las Vegas Wranglers, Jan. 7, 8
- Vs. Stockton Thunder, Jan. 10, 11
- Vs. Idaho Steelheads, Jan. 18, 20
- Vs. Bakersfield Condors, Jan. 24, 25
- Vs. Las Vegas Wranglers, Jan. 29
All games 7:05 p.m., except Jan. 20
3200 South Decker Lake Drive (2200 W.)
Tickets $10-$33 plus fees; see website for specials.
Motor sports fans can attend two great events at the Maverik Center in January:
- Ice Racing Series - Friday and Saturday, Jan. 3-4, 7 p.m., ($8-$28). No-holds barred racing with specially modified ice vehicles.
- All-Star Monster Truck Tour - Friday, Jan. 31, 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 1, 2 and 7:30 p.m. ($10-$45). This show, back for it's second year at the Maverik Center, features six all star monster trucks.
3200 S. Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
The Utah Symphony presents two classical concerts this month:
- "Pixar in Concert," featuring a magical program of music and imagery from Pixar's thirteen feature films, Friday and Saturday, Jan. 3-4, 7 p.m.
- Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4, guest Conductor Matthias Pintscher pairs this sunny work with Beethoven's most serene piano concerto. Also included on the program is Pintscher's own mythology-inspired Towards Osiris. Friday and Saturday, Jan. 10-11, 8 p.m.
123 West South Temple
Here's the January lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- Naive Melodies, Jan. 9, 8 p.m.
- The Dusty 45s, Jan. 11, 9 p.m.
- T Bird & The Breaks, Jan. 16, 8 p.m.
- Andy Frasco & The UN, Jan. 18, 9 p.m.
- Orgone, Jan. 23, 8 p.m.
- Hell's Belles, Jan 24-25, 9 p.m.
638 S. State St.