You might think of January as a dead, dull month in Utah, but in reality there are a lot of exciting sports, arts, music, film and theater events this month, including the Sundance Film Festival, one of the most exciting Utah entertainment events of the year.
The list keeps evolving, so check back for more events as the month progresses.
Note: While we do our best to make sure all details are accurate, please contact the venue or visit their website before attending an event to make sure times, dates and prices are correct.
This exhibition brings to life the genius of Leonardo as an inventor, artist, scientist, anatomist, engineer, architect, sculptor and philosopher. Italian Artisans have faithfully crafted interactive and life-size machine inventions. These works include the first concepts of a car, bicycle, helicopter, glider, parachute, SCUBA, submarine, military tank and ideal city to name a few. In addition, the exhibit features facsimiles of Leonardo’s most famous codices, anatomical studies, battle drawings and Renaissance art.
209 E. 500 S.
Sept. 28, 2012-Jan. 27, 2013
Movie lovers can find a huge variety of free film screenings in Salt Lake City, including major Hollywood productions, experimental films, classics, kids' movies, documentaries and more. This month's highlights include Guilty Pleasures Jan. 9 at the Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, and I Stand Corrected Jan. 10 at the Brewvies.
A Jazz game can be an exciting diversion on a winter's night. The Jazz have eight home games in January:
All times MT. All games on ROOT Sports, with some games on other channels as listed. Radio for all games will be 1280 AM, 97.5 FM
- Wed., Jan. 2 vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m.
- Fri., Jan. 4 @ Phoenix, 7 p.m.
- Sat., Jan. 5 @ Denver, 7 p.m.
- Mon., Jan. 7 vs. Dallas 7:00 p.m.
- Wed., Jan. 9 @ Charlotte, 5 p.m.
- Fri., Jan. 11 @ Atlanta, 5:30 p.m.
- Sat., Jan. 12 @ Detroit, 5:30 p.m.
- Mon., Jan. 14 vs. Miami, 7 p.m.
- Sat., Jan. 19 vs. Cleveland, 7 p.m.
- Wed., Jan. 23 vs. Washington 7 p.m.
- Fri., Jan. 25 @ L.A. Lakers, 8:30 p.m.
- Sat., Jan. 26 vs. Indiana, 7:30 p.m. (NBATV)
- Mon., Jan. 28 vs. Houston, 7 p.m.
- Wed., Jan. 30 vs. New Orleans 7 p.m.
301 W. South Temple
Tickets $10-$241, check website for promotions.
Four actors play multiple roles, in and out of doors, from the country to the city, from the train to the Scottish Inn, from loathing to romance. Adapted from the Alfred Hitchcock classic.
December 31, 2012 – February 2, 2013
Monday-Saturday 7:30 p.m.
Saturday Matinees at 12:30 and 4 p.m.
No children under five permitted.
3333 S. Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Pac-12 play starts in January for the Runnin' Utes:
- Jan. 2 @ Arizona State, 8 p.m.
- Jan. 5 @ Arizona, 3 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 10 vs. UCLA, 7:30 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 12 vs. USC, 4 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 16 @ Washington State, 7:30 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 19 @ Washington, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Jan. 24 vs. California, 6:30 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Jan. 27 vs. Stanford, 7 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
All times MT.
All games on ESPN 700 radio.
Jon M. Huntsman Center
1825 East South Campus Drive at the University of Utah
Tickets $5-$25, see website or call for specials.
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Pauly Shore and Shane Mauss.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
Motor sports fans can attend two great events at the Maverik Center in January:
- Fire on Ice Championship - Friday and Saturday, Jan. 4-5, 7 p.m., ($8-$28). No-holds barred racing with specially modified ice vehicles.
- All-Star Monster Truck Tour - Friday, Jan. 25, 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 26, 2 and 7:30 p.m. ($10-$45). This all new show, never before seen at the Maverik Center, features six all star monster trucks.
3200 S. Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
The Utah Symphony presents two classical concerts this month:
- "Water Music," featuring Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Vivaldi, Bach, Handel and Britten, Friday and Saturday, Jan. 4-5, 8 p.m.
- Sibelius' Violin Concerto, with pieces by Grieg, Kodaly and Enesco. Featuring violinist Tobias Feldmann. Friday and Saturday, Jan. 11-12, 8 p.m.
123 West South Temple
Here's the December lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- Bullets & Belles - Friday, Jan. 4
- Randy Rogers Band - Friday, Jan. 11
- Cash'd Out - Saturday, Jan. 12
- Singer Songwriters in the Round - Thursday, Jan. 17
- Head For The Hills - Friday, Jan. 25