The Salt Lake Bees, minor league affiliate of the Anaheim Angels, start their home season Thursday, April 4 vs. the Tucson Padres. They also have home stands vs. the Reno Aces, Tacoma Raniers, and Colorado Springs Sky Sox in April.
Spring Mobile Ballpark
77 West 1300 South
Tickets $9-$25; see website or call for promotions
The Utah Blaze are back at EnergySolutions Arena, with three games in April:
Saturday, April 6, 8 p.m. vs. Tampa Bay Storm
Saturday, April 20, 8 p.m. vs. Chicago Rush
Saturday, April 27, 5 p.m. @ Cleveland Gladiators
301 West South Temple
Tickets $10-$100; see website for specials
Real Salt Lake continues its regular MLS season with two home games and two away games in April:
- Saturday, April 6, 5:30 p.m. @ Colorado Rockies (NBC Sports)
- Saturday, April 13, 2 p.m. @ Vancouver Whitecaps (ABC4)
- Saturday, April 20, 7 p.m. vs. Chivas USA (CW30)
- Saturday, April 27, 7 p.m. vs. LA Galaxy (CW30)
Rio Tinto Stadium
9256 S. State St.
Here's the April lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- Robert Earl Keen - Tuesday and Wednesday, April 2-3
- Little Green Cars - Friday April 5
- Elephant Revival - Saturday, April 6
- The Parlotones - Tuesday, April 9
- Dash Rip Rock! - Wednesday, April 10
- Wheeler Brothers - Friday, April 12
- He's My Brother She's My Sister - Tuesday, April 16
- Colin Hay - Wednesday, April 17
- The Joshua Payne Orchestra - Friday, April 19
- Hell's Belles - Saturday, April 20
- Spirit Family Reunion - Wednesday, April 24
- Paul Kelly - Friday, April 26
- That1Guy & The Magic Pipe - Sunday, April 28
638 South State St.
The Depot, a live music venue in the historic Union Pacific building at The Gateway, hosts 11 shows this month:
- Jeff Mangum - Thursday, April 4
- The Airborne Toxic Event - Friday, April 5
- OMD - Wednesday, April 10
- Soul Asylum - Thursday, April 11
- C2C - Tuesday, April 16
- Machine Gun Kelly - Friday, April 19
- Royal Bliss - Saturday, April 20
- An Evening With Zakk Wylde - Wednesday, April 24
- Face to Face - Thursday, April 25
- Manufactured Superstars - Friday, April 26
- James Blake - Saturday, April 27
13 N. 400 W.
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Shawn Paulsen and Carlos Mencia.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
Movie lovers can find a huge variety of free film screenings in Salt Lake City, including major Hollywood productions, experimental films, classics, kids' movies, documentaries and more. This month's highlights include Schindler's List April 8 at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center and Chasing Ice April 11 at the Viridian Event Center in West Jordan.
- A Utah premiere, Jewels showcases George Balanchine’s masterful choreography in a radiant triple bill. Known as the first abstract full-length work, this beautiful ballet is presented in three acts – each one creating a different mood. April 5-6 and 10-13, 7:30 p.m. and April 13 at 2 p.m. Tickets $18-$74
- Aladdin is a world premiere by Ballet West II, is a magic carpet ride of romance, comedy and adventure. Appropriate for children ages 3 and older. April 6 at 2 p.m., April 8 and 9 at 7 p.m. Tickets $15-$35.
50 W. 200 S.
801-355-ARTS (2787), 1-888-451-ARTS (2787)
"Nature of Things 2013: The Science of Being Human" explores a topic that elicits endless fascination – what makes us human?
- "Redefining Human: How Microbes Influence Who We Are," by microbiologist June Round. Thursday, March 7, 2013, 7 p.m. The City Library - 210 E. 400 S. Free event; no ticket required.
- "Knowing Thyself: What it Means to be a Human with a Brain," by neuroscientist David Eagleman. Thursday, March 21, 2013, 7 p.m. Kingsbury Hall - 1395 Presidents Circle at the University of Utah. Tickets $12.
- "A Journey of the Mind: Asking Animals How We Became Human," by anthropologist Brian Hare. Thursday, April 11, 2013, 7 p.m. The City Library - 210 E. 400 S. Free event, no ticket required.