Not all Salt Lake City December events are related to the holidays - sports, arts, and outdoor recreation events continue throughout the month. Here's a list of non-holiday events to try, especially if you need a break from shopping, eating cookies and singing Christmas carols.
Note: While we do our best to verify details for all listed events, it's best to call the venue or visit the website to get the most up-to-date details before attending any event.Click here for a list of Salt Lake City Holiday Events
"Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Ancient Times" includes one of the largest collections of the priceless 2,000-year-old Dead Sea Scrolls. Discovered by a shepherd in 1947, the Scrolls contain the oldest known copies of the Hebrew Bible. On display with the Scrolls are more than 600 objects from the Biblical to Byzantine Period in Israel, including many that have never been publicly exhibited.
209 E. 500 S.
Exhibit opens Nov. 23, 2013
The Utah Symphony presents one classical concerts this month:
- "Schubert and Tchaikovsky" Friday and Saturday, Dec. 6-7, 8 p.m.
123 West South Temple
The Jazz have a full NBA schedule in December, with lots of new names on the roster:
Games are televised regionally on ROOT SPORTS (excluding some nationally televised games). ROOT SPORTS channels vary by provider - Comcast: SD - 52, HD - 693 DirecTV: SD - 684, HD - 684.1 DISH: channel varies, usually between 440-450 and 470-480 RADIO: 1280 AM KZNS/97.5 FM.
- Monday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m. vs Houston
- Wednesday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m. vs Indiana
- Friday, Dec. 6, 8 p.m. @ Portland
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m. vs Sacramento
- Monday, Dec. 9, 7 p.m. vs Portland
- Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m. @ Sacramento
- Friday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m. @ Denver
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m. vs San Antonio
- Monday, Dec. 16, 5:30 p.m. @ Miami
- Wednesday, Dec. 18, 5 p.m. @ Orlando
- Friday, Dec. 20, 5:30 p.m. @ Atlanta
- Saturday, Dec. 21, 5:30 p.m. @ Charlotte
- Monday, Dec. 23, 6 p.m. @ Memphis
- Friday, Dec. 27, 7 p.m. vs L.A. Lakers
- Saturday, Dec. 28, 8:30 p.m. @ L.A. Clippers
- Monday, Dec. 30, 7 p.m. vs Charlotte
301 W. South Temple
The Utah Grizzlies have five home games this month:
- Wednesday, Dec. 4 vs. Alaska Aces
- Friday, Dec. 6 vs. Alaska Aces
- Saturday, Dec. 7 vs. Alaska Aces
- Saturday, Dec. 28 vs. Colorado Eagles
- Tuesday, Dec. 31 vs. Las Vegas Wranglers
All games at 7:05 p.m.
3200 Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Tickets $10-$33; see website for promotions
George Lopez is a multi-talented entertainer whose career encompasses television, film, standup comedy and late-night television.
Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013, 8 p.m.
Please Note: Mature Audiences 18+
3200 South Decker Lake Drive
Here's the December lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- The Lone Bellow - Wednesday, Dec. 4
- The Band of Heathens - Thursday, Dec. 12
- The White Buffalo - Friday, Dec. 13
- Vienna Teng - Saturday, Dec. 14
- Toby Beard - Sunday, Dec. 15
- Jerry Joseph Duo - Monday, Dec. 16
- Will Hoge - Tuesday, Dec. 17
- Justin Townes Earle - Friday, Dec. 20
- Micky & The Motorcars - Saturday, Dec. 28
- Elephant Revival New Year's Run - Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 30-31
The Depot, a live music venue in the historic Union Pacific building at The Gateway, hosts three shows this month:
- Winter Meltdown - Friday, Dec. 20
- Late Night Alumni - Saturday, Dec. 28
- NYE 2014 Featuring MAKJ - Tuesday, Dec. 31
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Carmen Lynch, Mike Anderson, Tom Clark, Tommy Johnagin and Brian Moote.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
Based on Green Day’s Grammy Award-winning multi-platinum album, American Idiot boldly takes the American musical where it’s never gone before.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday Dec. 3-5, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
Tickets $35-$57.50; children under age six not permitted.
1395 E. Presidents Circle at the University of Utah 801-581-7100