Not all Salt Lake City December events are related to the holidays - sports, arts, and outdoor recreation events continue throughout the month. Here's a list of non-holiday events to try, especially if you need a break from shopping, eating cookies and singing Christmas carols.
Note: While we do our best to verify details for all listed events, it's best to call the venue or visit the website to get the most up-to-date details before attending any event.Click here for a list of Salt Lake City Holiday Events
This exhibition brings to life the genius of Leonardo as an inventor, artist, scientist, anatomist, engineer, architect, sculptor and philosopher. Italian Artisans have faithfully crafted interactive and life-size machine inventions. These works include the first concepts of a car, bicycle, helicopter, glider, parachute, SCUBA, submarine, military tank and ideal city to name a few. In addition, the exhibit features facsimiles of Leonardo’s most famous codices, anatomical studies, battle drawings and Renaissance art.
209 E. 500 S.
Sept. 28, 2012-Jan. 27, 2013
The Utah Symphony presents two classical concerts this month:
- "A Scottish Symphony," Friday and Saturday, Nov. 20-Dec. 1, 8 p.m.
- "Debussy & Ravel," Friday and Saturday, Dec. 7-8, 8 p.m.
123 West South Temple
The Jazz have a full NBA schedule in December, with lots of new names on the roster:
All times MT. All games on ROOT Sports, with some games on other channels as listed. Radio for all games will be 1280 AM, 97.5 FM
- Saturday, Dec. 1 @ Houston, 6 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 3 vs. LA Clippers, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 5 vs. Orlando, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 7 vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 9 @ LA Lakers, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 12 vs. San Antonio 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
- Friday, Dec. 14 @ Phoenix, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 15 vs. Memphis, 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 18 @ Brooklyn 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 19 @ Indiana, 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 22 @ Miami, 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 23 @ Orlando, 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 26 vs. Golden State, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 28 vs. LA Clippers, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 30 @ LA Clippers, 7:30 p.m.
301 W. South Temple
Tickets $10-$241, check website for promotions
The Utah Grizzlies have eight home games this month:
- Saturday, Dec. 1 vs. San Francisco Bulls
- Friday and Saturday, Dec. 14-15 vs. Alaska Aces
- Wednesday, Dec. 19 vs. Idaho Steelheads
- Friday, Dec. 21 vs. Las Vegas Wranglers
- Friday and Saturday, Dec. 28-29 vs. Ontario Reign
- Monday, Dec. 31 vs. Stockton Thunder
All games at 7:05 p.m.
3200 Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Tickets $10-$33; see website for promotions
Here's the December lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- Helmut Von Schmidt KBER Shindig - Saturday, Dec. 1
- Tommy Castro & The Painkillers - Sunday, Dec. 2
- Kinky Friedman's BiPolar Tour - Thursday, Dec. 6
- David Hidalgo & Alejandro Escovedo - Friday, Dec. 7
- Brandi Carlile - Thursday and Friday, Dec. 13-14
- Justin Townes Earle - Saturday, Dec. 15
- Andy Frasco - Friday, Dec. 28
- Coco Montoya New Year's Eve Celebration - Monday, Dec. 31
The Depot, a live music venue in the historic Union Pacific building at The Gateway, hosts seven shows this month:
- The Aquabats - Thursday, Dec. 6
- Punch Brothers - Friday, Dec. 7
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Saturday, Dec. 8
- Late Night Alumni - Saturday, Dec. 15
- Zappa Plays Zappa - Tuesday, Dec. 18
- Snoop Dogg - Friday, Dec. 21
- NYE With Nathan Scott - Monday, Dec. 31
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Tom Green, Darren Carter, and Dwayne Perkins.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
Discover what animals do in the winter time and how they adapt to their changing environment. Check out the aquarium's winter themed puppet show at 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m. or 4 p.m., as well as "cool" special activities throughout the day. This event is free with aquarium admission.
Fridays, Dec. 2, 9 and 16, 2011, 3-6 p.m.
The Living Planet Aquarium
725 E. 10600 S. in Sandy
Adults $9.95, Children 3-17 $7.95, Students, Military and Seniors(65+) $8.95. 50 cent discount for online ticket purchases.
Pop quartet Under The Streetlamp are poised to bring the repertoire of The American Radio Songbook of the '50s, '60s and '70s to a whole new audience while reminding the original fans why they fell in love with the music in the first place.
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
Tickets $25-$47.50 plus fees. Student and senior discounts available; children under age six not permitted.
1395 E. Presidents Circle at the University of Utah